PM Update (#2)

Auckland Council’s testing of samples from near the Coronation Rd, Mangere Bridge fire site today show no signs of asbestos.

Te Whatu Ora Medical Officer of Health Dr Denise Barnfather says children and staff are now allowed outside in the grounds of two schools, Mountain View and OneSchool Global, and an early learning centre Tadpoles.

As these sites were close to the fire, public health staff had requested that they keep their staff and children inside while an assessment of the asbestos risk was being carried out.

A second early learning centre Namoa Christian Preschool in the Siasi Tokaikolo ‘ia Kalaisi church grounds had closed.

Dr Barnfather said that the samples taken from around the fire site contained no asbestos. “As there was no wind and no explosion from the fire, the risk of asbestos being present in properties further away from the fire is very low,” she said.

Fire and Emergency completely extinguished the fire earlier today.


AM Update (#1)

Te Whatu Ora public health staff are assessing the risk of asbestos to the local community following a fire this morning at Coronation Rd, Mangere Bridge.

Fire and Emergency NZ has declared the fire is completely extinguished, however it is possible that asbestos may have been released into the air, given the age of the buildings destroyed.

Public health staff will be working with Auckland Council on a comprehensive assessment of the asbestos risk today, and will advise whether any action need to be taken. This will require sampling sites close to the fire and testing this.

Medical Officer of Health Northern region Dr Denise Barnfather says two schools, Mountain View and OneSchool Global, and Tadpoles ELS are all close to the fire site, and so have been asked to keep their children inside until the risk from asbestos is known and further advice can be given.

There is a church next door to the site, Siasi Tokaikolo ‘ia Kalaisi and its pre-school has been cordoned off and is closed until further notice.

FENZ has dampened down areas close to the fire site to reduce any spread of any asbestos fibres, if they are present.

Dr Barnfather says that the lack of wind and this dampening means that the risk is low for other Mangere Bridge properties.

“Apart from the schools and ELS close by, those at other schools or residents in Mangere Bridge do not need to stay inside. We will be providing more information after the risk assessment has been complete,” says Dr Barnfather.

For health advice call Healthline for free anytime on 0800 611 116
MENU menu-arrow