Auckland southern motorway fire incident (08/03/2023)

Update 1.50pm, 08/03/2023

Public health has assessed the risk of exposure to smoke was low. The fire only burnt for a short time before being extinguished, the smoke plume dissipated reasonably quickly, and many people in nearby areas will have had their windows closed given it was the early hours of the morning.

Public health has not received any reports of anyone becoming unwell as a result of the fire.

For most people symptoms caused by smoke inhalation disappear soon after exposure ends and cause no long term health problems. 

If you were exposed to smoke and you experience shortness of breath, wheezing, triggering of asthma symptoms or chest pain please see your doctor immediately or go to an Emergency Department. 

If smoke got into your home or if your house smells of smoke:

  • Open windows and doors to bring in fresh air. 
  • Clean air conditioning unit filters.  
  • Building managers should clean air filters and ventilation systems. 
  • Wash down railings, balconies and decks, and wipe down any outside furniture and objects with a damp cloth. 
  • Clean filters and covers of outdoor pools. 
  • Vacuum clean (including upholstery), preferably using a cleaner with a HEPA filter. 
  • Wash hard surfaces, food preparation areas and any cooking utensils left out with detergent and hot water. 

Public health are awaiting further intelligence on the substances involved in the fire to assess the risk of any secondary hazards.

If you have contact with ash or debris please wear a mask. If you feel unwell after contact with ash or debris please contact your GP, or call Healthline on 0800 611 116.

For health advice call Healthline for free anytime on 0800 611 116
MENU menu-arrow